January is the time when many of us set ourselves goal for the year. But before I set my goals, I like to look back at what I’ve achieved the year before. Here’s the thirteen creative goals I set myself at the beginning of 2016 and how I got on with them…
I’ve barely had time to blink since I posted the three month reviews of my creative goals. But here we are already turning the half way point in the year! So I’m sitting down again to review my progress. Here’s the goals I’ve stuck to/am on target with…
Goal 1 – 85% of my yarn purchases will be 100% British wool.
I’ve bought no British wool since March, but have knitted with a good amount of British wool I already had. The non-British wool yarn I have bought has all been for presents for babies. So in my book that sticks with original intentions of my goal.
Goal 2 – Only buy yarn when I know what I’m going to use it for.
Big tick here, yarn has only been purchased for baby gifts.
Goal 3 – Think thoroughly before I take on any new project.
Done this, or at least there’s nothing I’m regretting having started since March.
Goal 4 – Learn 6 new sock knitting techniques.
So far this year I’ve explored:
Goal 5 – Post at least six patterns on Ravelry.
After posting about my Ravelry fears, I’ve managed – with encouragement from you lovely people – to get more into Ravelry, overcome my fears and post two patterns in the last month. So, although to be up with my goal, I should have posted three at this point, I’ve come such a long way since March, so I’m counting this as on target.
Goal 6 – Experiment/learn something new each month
My work on The Dartmoor Yarn Company’s products and patterns has been more than enough to tick this box. But my craft experimenting/learning has also included the sock techniques, experiments for my next cardigan and a currently secret gift.
Goal 7. Learn more about dyeing wool with plants and other natural products.
I’ve got a workshop on this booked in July, so not yet, but not a ‘fail’ either.
That’s seven out of thirteen goals I’m on target with. I’ll consider the six I’m not doing so well with over the weekend and share them next week. However, I’m really pleased (and surprised) I’ve done so well with these – given I was ill for the whole of April and I’ve been launching The Dartmoor Yarn Company, so put very little conscious thought into my creative goal list.
If you set them, how are your goals going this year?
Last week I showed you the heel of my Sherbet Lemon Socks that I was knitting for the No Nylon Sock KAL and, I’m pleased to say, this week I finally finished them despite a heap of other projects and distractions. And not only finished , but I actually wrote the pattern up today!
As regular readers may remember, I set a goal at the beginning of the year to post six patterns on Ravelry. So far, I’ve posted none. But now I’ve finally written something up, I just need to work out how to add patterns to Ravelry. So while I twist my brain around that that, I’ll leave you to look at the pics of the finished article…
Some of you may remember that when I knitted the first of this pair I didn’t like the round toe and you suggested incorporating it in the pattern, which I’ve done and I think works well with this tiny twisted stitch. Hope you agree.
Update 01/02/17 – This post is about knitting a toe that doesn’t use Kitchener Stitch. You can adapt it to the pattern you’re currently using by starting working on it when the foot of your sock is about 2″/5cm less than your desired foot length. If you’ve finished a toe that needs Kitchener stitch and don’t want to frog back 2″/5cm, I don’t have a post to tell you how to that – although you could just cast off and sew it up – but I do have a picture tutorial that might help you with Kitchener stitch here.
In my quest to explore different ways to knit socks, I decided to work a round toe on the socks that I’m knitting for the No Nylon Sock KAL. A round toe is simple to work and involves no Kitchener stitch.