Watercolour Birds

Another quick post to show you my latest painting created by following one of Louise de Masi’s tutorials. It was beginner tutorial for painting a chickadee.


I had a bit of a fight with the rock/piece of wood it’s sitting on, because my grey completely separated out into blue and burnt sienna when I painted it.


But in the end I think it worked out okay.


Living in the UK, I have no real idea about or interest in chickadees – of course one of the pitfalls of following a tutor who lives on the other side of the world is that they’re more likely to paint animals you’re unfamiliar with. Feeling no real connection to my chickadee painting, I decided to apply the techniques from the chickadee tutorial to a bird I do love; a blue tit…


Quite pleased with my efforts, although definitely not happy about the breast, but I know what I should have done, rather than what I did do.

Until next time,

Bekki x

Watercolour Daisy

I told you in my last post that I’m now subscribing to Louise de Masi’s Patreon channel. Unsure what to start with first, I decided to work through the beginner tutorials from the earliest one she posted. This tutorial was for a white daisy that was actually intermediate/beginner.


Not too shabby, but I confess I kept following her painting rather than using the reference photo and there’s definitely room for improvement. Still, onwards and upwards!

Until next time,

Bekki x



Watercolour – Too Stodgy

Last time I posted about painting, I showed you this…


This painting led me down two avenues; one to work on creating my own compositions with a blurred background and a focused subject (see below) and, for some reason, painting those orange petals made me think of whale’s tails – so I decided to paint one…


then another because I didn’t like the sea on the first…

Still not pleased with the sea

For my first composition I studiously took photos of the flowers in my garden then played with mixing colours before I started painting.

I was mostly  pleased with the background…


… until I realise my flowers where more purple-pink than red-pink and my planned subject was a robin with a nice red-red breast. I played with some red colours…


I also considered paining a blue tit instead, but a blue tit just wasn’t going to fit in that robin shaped space. Finally I went for a not quite robin coloured robin…

In for a penny, in for a pound, I turned the grey feathers purple.

My second composition was a male mallard duck on the water. Once again I spent ages considering and mixing colours.


Although I’m much happier with the colours here, and particularly pleased with the reflection of the head, there’s two things I’m particularly unhappy with in all three of my compositions:

  1. The only blues I had granulated heavily and I didn’t like the effect that had on the water/sky – of course that’s easily rectified by buying some paint that granulates less.
  2. The paint on all the subjects is just to thick and stodgy. One of the main things I love about watercolour is its magical luminescence. To work on this I’ve now joined Patreon and subscribed to Louise de Masi’s channel.  Whilst I’m not keen to paint flowers or Australian birds – which are what a lot of her subject matter comprises of, I just love the way she makes watercolour look like watercolour. I’ll be back soon to show you the results of my first tutorials with her.

Until next time.

Bekki x