I finished the Pinwheel Baby Quilt months ago. Firstly I didn’t post because the baby hadn’t arrived and I didn’t want to spoil the surprise if lovely niece accidentally spotted it. Then, after the baby arrived, I went AWOL from the blog. And then I kept not posting because I thought I’d post a pattern tutorial for it. Well, maybe I will post a tutorial in the future, but as that doesn’t seem to be happening, I thought I’d better show the finished object and cross one more finished object to show you off my list.
I’m pleased apart from that I wish I’d made the rectangle for the name in mustard.
I’m also very pleased that this project has been made virtually only from my stash and scraps from bag making (the polka dot fabric). All I bought was the batting. Hope you like it.
When we moved into our house six years ago our old lounge suite was both exhausted and the wrong shape to fit our new lounge. The chairs went to chair heaven and the settee to the kitchen for HRH…
However the footstool still had plenty of life in it – clearly we don’t have very heavy feet. It also fitted nicely into a corner of our new lounge – well, apart from the colour.
I planned to make a cover, but you know how it goes… Six years later the red footstool was still sitting in the corner and we’d been ignoring the colour clash for years. Then Harry arrived rather suddenly and boring plain throws were immediately cast over my beautiful Laura Ashley settees.
As I began to plot and scheme how to improve the look of the throw covered settees, my thoughts turned to the foot stall and, when I discovered some elephant Clarke and Clarke fabric, a plan emerged.
Making a footstool cover from this fabric would leave me with an unused long thin strip of fabric – not very economical. But if cut the strip into near squares four elephants long by three wide I could made a fake patchwork quilt with them for one of my very bland looking settees.
So that’s what I did: I made a simple footstool cover….
I’m also pleased to say I took advantage of the hot weather at Easter and blocked the unblocked shawl…
Book group is the place I knit my UFO socks, because I don’t have to pay any attention to them, apart from when I turned the heel – which I did at home. So they’re growing nicely, but I’ve still no idea why I started at the top on one and the toe on the other.
That leaves my blue cardigan. Unfortunately I’m getting nowhere looking for buttons. It’s driving me crackers – all I need to do is find some buttons I’m happy with to finish, yet it’s turned into a seemingly impossible task.
Apart from my button frustration I’m very happy with my UFO progress. Dare I ask how you guys are doing with your UFO counts this month?
For the last two weeks I’ve been spending most evening hand sewing the binding onto my floral quilt.
It’s taken two weeks because not only did I have seven meters of binding to sew, but I also find hand sewing hard going on my middle finger – the eye end of the needle manages to make it sore and even bleed very easily – does anyone else have that challenge?
With the binding finally attached the quilt is finished…
I’m pleased to report I’ve finished the top of the jungle baby quilt and sandwiched it up with batting and backing fabric…
Next step: Quilting.
I’m thinking I’ll stitch in the ditch between all the patchwork pieces and echo the pinwheels in quilting across the jungle fabric squares. I’m not going to quilt the thin jungle fabric and polka dot boarders, but the red one is a wee bit too wide not to quilt. Any thoughts on what I should do with that?
Last week, when I shared the new decisions I needed to make on my baby quilt , you lot most decisively told me I should make pinwheel blocks between the jungle fabric squares. I completely agreed, but also cringed at the thought of all the extra work. After all 10 pinwheels require cutting and sewing 80 half square triangles. (In future to be referred to as HSTs)
Or do they?
Somewhere in the back of my brain I remembered there’s a quick way to make a square that consists of two HSTs.
I rummaged around in my grey matter then cut out 10 red and 10 mustard 6″ squares.
The technical bit…
At the start I had looked for a formula for how big the squares should be, but I couldn’t find one – Please tell me if you know of one. So I calculated for a pinwheel that measured 6″ once sewn into the quilt I needed 6″ squares and a small amount of trimming. (FYO: A pinwheel that measures 12″ once sewn into a quilt would need 10″ squares and a small amount of trimming.)
I placed one red square and one mustard square wrong sides together and sewed a 1/4″ seam around the edge…
I then cut each in half from one corner to the other…
…then in quarters by cutting across the other diagonal…
This created four HST squares from each pair of larger squares…
I pressed each HST square with the seam towards the darker fabric…
I then trimmed the HST squares to make them 3.5 inches square exactly.
I rather liked that I needed to trim, because it meant my squares were unquestionably the right size.
Then I pieced the squares together in pairs – being careful to make sure they were all pieced identically, so the final result would be identical pinwheels..