Last summer on a whim I decided to wet felt an extra, large extra thick piece felt to make coasters from. I find wet felting fun, but after a while the novelty wears off. Unfortunately my interest didn’t last anywhere near long enough and, with better things to do, I gave up and dried it.
Many years ago, when I did not have the time to knit a cable cardigan, I bought a cream cable cardigan. I very much loved my cardigan, but over time it grew. As it grew, it moved from being a favourite cardigan to a pull on when it’s chilly cardigan. But still it grew and the cream began to turn a little grey however well it was washed. So it became a throw on when it’s chilly and you’re absolutely sure no one will see you in it cardigan.
I wished and wished my poor cardigan was still new, until one day I realised wishing was going to get me nowhere. So I picked up my needles. I wanted to knit an near identical cable cardigan in my grey Dartmoor Yarn Company wool, but one that felt a little more feminine. I loved the idea of cabled hearts, but this was the closest I could find in a stitchionary.
But it just wasn’t heart shaped enough and I certainly didn’t want anything as untidy as the way that one pulls at the sides – although I did wonder if that was down to the skill of the knitter who made the sample for the book.
There was nothing for it but take out my graph paper and design my own.
And so I began knitting, until finally…
I’m very pleased with the finished cardigan, but not so pleased with the size of my hips and bottom. I did intended it to be slightly looser fit and I did get the measurements right – I just failed to lose the weight I intended. So now my cardigan is finished, I’ve absolutely no excuse not do it justice by getting on with losing those extra inches, which I lost last year then put half of them back on again!
I also now need to get the pattern written up within a month as I promised in the goal I added to my 2017 list last month.
My lovely next door neighbour is completely to blame for these. She got me thinking about knitted wedding favours and, with Valentine’s day only a few weeks away, I couldn’t resist making some heart kits for the shop.
First I knitted some tiny teeny hearts…
… then added a keyring…
After that I made some bigger hearts.
I just love how hanging a heart on a door knob or a cupboard or drawer make a house seem more homey and loved…
For a wonderful scent, I’ve added a pouch of lavender.
Although it’s still a couple of weeks until Valentines, Love does seem my keyword right now, because I love knitted cream cushions, they go with almost any colour scheme. I also love natural cream wool. And on top of that – as you may have noticed – I love cables. So it was only a matter of time before I designed a cream cable cushion kit…
So that’s where a fair amount of my creative energy and knitting time has gone over the last couple of weeks. Hope you like them.
Apologies if I’ve ignored anyone this last week. My rather scattergun approach to blogging has been due to me being away from home since Saturday, when I delivered a talk at the wonderful Winchester Writer’s Festival, caught up with lot of good friends and had the lovely surprise of meeting – for the first time – a lovely client I coached by telephone eleven years ago. I also managed to pick up a copy of The Fintastic Fish-Sitter written by my brilliant friend Mo O’Hara, which shouldn’t be available until the beginning of July.
Lovely husband picked me up on Sunday Morning and we headed off to spend Father’s Day with Lovely Littlest Daughter in the Big Smoke. We then escaped the city for a short break near Ross on Wye at Glewstone Court Hotel.
A fair amount of knitting took place on the train to Winchester and in the car. However, what I was itching to do was finish sewing up the lacy jumper that I’d started as part of my 4 x 4 challenge and had finished knitting Friday night. I finally managed to do that when we returned Monday afternoon from a 25 mile cycle ride around the Forest of Dean.
As we were in a hotel, I haven’t had chance to block it yet, but I hope a good battering with the iron will sort out the curly neckline…
Hurrah! I finally crossed off the third task on my list of unfinished objects – the tiebacks for my kitchen curtains. Goodness knows why I put it off for so long. They were so quick and easy to make. For anyone who’s interested, here’s my quick and easy method to make tiebacks to fit any size curtains… They took me about 45 minutes per pair.