I’ve been waiting ages to photograph the remaining project bags that I didn’t sell at Chagford Show two weeks ago. I like to take project photographs outside to get the better light and I find the plants give a better backdrop. However every time I’ve had a moment to photograph the project bags, it’s either been brilliant sunshine or rain. Being Dartmoor, of course it’s been mostly rain.
Many years ago, when I did not have the time to knit a cable cardigan, I bought a cream cable cardigan. I very much loved my cardigan, but over time it grew. As it grew, it moved from being a favourite cardigan to a pull on when it’s chilly cardigan. But still it grew and the cream began to turn a little grey however well it was washed. So it became a throw on when it’s chilly and you’re absolutely sure no one will see you in it cardigan.
I wished and wished my poor cardigan was still new, until one day I realised wishing was going to get me nowhere. So I picked up my needles. I wanted to knit an near identical cable cardigan in my grey Dartmoor Yarn Company wool, but one that felt a little more feminine. I loved the idea of cabled hearts, but this was the closest I could find in a stitchionary.
But it just wasn’t heart shaped enough and I certainly didn’t want anything as untidy as the way that one pulls at the sides – although I did wonder if that was down to the skill of the knitter who made the sample for the book.
There was nothing for it but take out my graph paper and design my own.
And so I began knitting, until finally…
I’m very pleased with the finished cardigan, but not so pleased with the size of my hips and bottom. I did intended it to be slightly looser fit and I did get the measurements right – I just failed to lose the weight I intended. So now my cardigan is finished, I’ve absolutely no excuse not do it justice by getting on with losing those extra inches, which I lost last year then put half of them back on again!
I also now need to get the pattern written up within a month as I promised in the goal I added to my 2017 list last month.
I’m determined this week to get several projects finished that have been almost finished for a couple of weeks. First up is an idea I had ages ago, knitted and blocked quite a while back, but never quite found the oomph to take off the blocking mat, finish and write up. But finally I have. It’s another project for the DYC shop, Knit Your Own Country Cottage.
Apart from a couple of keyrings I need to write up, this is the last knitting kit I’m designing for the shop for a while. Hope you like it.
Since I finished the Good Vibrations Shawlette and the Fakery Curl,I’ve skittered between projects but finished nothing – even though I’m on the verge of finishing a couple. Like most knitters finishing off is not my favourite job. But today I have a small finish. A hedgehog, which is now in kit form available in the DYC shop.
Back to the bigger projects, I’m wondering if I’m actually reluctant to finish, not just because sewing up and sewing in ends is no fun, but because I don’t want to finish – like when you’re reading a good book and want want to get to the end, but at the same time don’t want it to end.
There was a wee project I didn’t admit to finishing on Tuesday, because I’ve grown wise to not declaring kits are finished until they really are ready – i.e. the packing is also ready and the little critter is up on the website shop. If only I could simply knit the creature, write the pattern, have it checked and the rest sort itself out!
Anyways, here’s another project I finished this week…