What rodents live in UK gardens?
Rodents in the Garden
- Wood mouse: woodland, hedgerows, occasionally indoors;
- Bank vole: woodland, hedgerows, earth banks;
- Field vole: rough grassland;
- Yellow-necked field mouse: broadleaved woodland, hedges, rural gardens;
- Common vole: meadows, heathland, agricultural fields.
What animal looks like a rat but has no tail?
Pet Guinea Pigs
Sometimes referred to as “cavies,” guinea pigs may be the most thought of when it comes to tailless rodents. Guinea pigs have been domesticated since around 5,000 B.C. because of their gentle nature and their popularity as a food source.
Do possums look like rats?
The answer is: No! While opossums resemble rodents with their long faces and a big rat-like tail, opossums are not rodents. Rather, there are marsupials! Like kangaroos and koalas, opossums are born incompletely developed and are typically carried and suckled in the mother’s abdominal or belly pouch.
Should I be worried if I see a rat in my garden?
While spotting a rat in the garden can be an unpleasant experience and they can damage fruit, vegetables, bulbs, plants, shed doors and wires, they should also be considered a serious health risk.