The obvious problem with having a car knitting project, is that if you don’t go very far it doesn’t get knitted very quickly. This has been the case for my colour block sweater, started at the beginning of August. Having only completed the back as far as the cast off for the neck and shoulder, and a third of the front, I pulled it out last Saturday.
But on Saturday I decided I wanted it to be tunic rather than sweater. So I knitted another heap of boring stocking stitch rows on the back.
Sunday evening, I sat down to work out how I wanted to knit the neck and shoulders. But each time I calculated, I got a different answer. Tired and full of cold, I couldn’t be bothered to go get my phone or a calculator and continued to work it out on paper.
Finally I was sure I had it right and knitted on, following my calculations. But when I got to the last few rows, it was clear I’d miscalculated. Still, it wasn’t that bad. A bit of blocking and jiggery-pokery with the front would be fine.
But one look on Monday told me it was NOT fine.
Note to self:
If your head’s full of cold, you can’t think straight and you can’t calculate – especially without a calculator. Under these circumstances just sit and knit something simple until you feel better.
2nd Note to self:
However cross you are, still take picture of your cock-up for your blog post.
I frogged it back and recalculated. Almost immediately I had the answer. I checked on my phone (twice) then began knitting. Finally I had it right! Well, at least until I decide I don’t like it that way.
As for the front, I’d already completed about a 1/3. But when I looked at that, I decided I didn’t like it and frogged right back to the start and knitted this much Tuesday/Wednesday.
So that’s been my week’s knitting. Hope yours has been more clear headed.